Thursday, August 25, 2016

Northern Conspiracy August 2016 Game Night


Last Friday, the club got together for our August game night. Although it was a beautiful summer evening, we still had enough players to run all three games. 


Mark D. and Ross played a game of Axis and Allies WWII ships. 










Mike Coppinger ran his annual "First Man of Rome" mini tournament. This year it featured historic scenarios on each of the tables with scenario victory conditions and in some cases unbalanced forces. I'm not sure who won, but last I heard first-time DBA player Dr. Dick was doing very well (as is the tradition at these it seems). The photo at the bottom of this section may have been the final pivotal game of the tournament, based on how many spectators it had.











I played in Greg's "Chain of Command" early war WWII skirmish game. These rules intrigue me similarly to how Field of Glory ancients did. There are a lot of innovations in it, many of which I don't fully understand. I played on the German side and did well for a while in my sector. In other areas of the battle we were doing well, until a series of rolls allowed the British to have three turns in a row. During this run they rallied their center and used a mortar barrage to destroy ours. The German players morale was crushed possibly even more than the tabletop forces, and the Germans capitulated.

Even with the crushing loss, I went home and purchased the rules. I have to admit, they are fun, even when frustrating.

Greg's game also featured the debut of his early war Germans, which I had the pleasure to have good views of all game long. They're beautifully painted.





No comments: