Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sd.Kfz.9 'Famo' Recovery Halftrack

This is an Sd.Kfz.9 'Famo' recovery halftrack for my late-war German Panzerkompanie. This is a model I've had in my stash for a long time. I originally thought I might use it with my Panzerkampfwagen 35(t) tanks as part of a Czech Panzerkompanie. In the end the Czech tanks ended up not really needing it so it sat about in my dead lead box until now. With my late war Panzers I'm going to very much want to have this additional asset in my headquarters company. For 5 points it's valuable if only to soak up an extra hit now and again. The added benefit of it being able to rescue bogged or broken down tanks is icing on the cake.

The Battlefront model came with a driver, the fuel drums and a removable canvas top. I ditched the top in favor of having the bed exposed showing the fuel drums. I added a few loose crates I had in my bits box, and some extra loose crew riding in the back seat and riding shotgun.












Think a halftrack pulling a tank sounds rediculous? Well think again. This beast was a full 18 Tons and was larger than a Tiger tank. Here's a photo of one doing it's job towing a Panzer IV.


4 comments:

DeanM said...

Nice model & fantastic camo job - I thought it was a Tamiya 1/35th kit at first. Best, Dean

Scottswargaming said...

Very nice I could with one myself

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

You got your I's and V's the wrong way round.... in that last picture he's towing a Tiger, so even bigger!

Anonymous said...

Your set is coming along nicely, love the work and quick progress.