Tuesday, September 20, 2011

WIP - Pirate Ship (1)

This is a 25mm pirate ship I'm working on. Several people in our club have recently started working on a pirate game project using Old Glory 25mm pirate ships. This model is my attempt to make a boat that will match these in scale and styling.  The boat is completely made of wood cut on my laser engraving machine. The hull is three layers of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood with the curved portions sanded in with my bench-mounted belt sanding station. The hull sides and all detail parts are made from 1/32" plywood and 1/16" basswood. The plank details are engraved into the wood so when painted they'll still show through. Since most of the boat is wood I'm hoping to use stain in most places to allow the natural wood grain to show through.

I still have quite a bit of work to do: frames for the gun ports, top railing for the hull sides and a whole second deck with railings, oh then there's the whole painting, and rigging it.  My hope is that once I have the basic boat designed I can make additional boats that are variations on this design. I'm particularly interested in making a more ornate version with a larger stern section and decks to represent a Dutch East India Company merchantman. I'll post more on this project as it progresses.


4 comments:

Rodger said...

Great start AJ. The laser makes a very tidy job.

AdamC1776 said...

Nice!

Mike said...

This is great. I'm very interested to see the stain applied. Very creative.

DeanM said...

Man o man, that is a beaut. Looking really nice so far. Looking forward to the completed project. Best, Dean