Monday, August 17, 2009

Continental Ties

My aunt Elizabeth has been researching our family tree for several years now and at a family gathering this weekend she and I had a great talk about my military ancestors. During our talk she showed me several pension documents from one of my relatives who was killed in the American Civil War. I'm going to be getting copies of those documents so I can learn more.

Of even greater interest to me is the fact that an earlier ancestor of mine was William Bond, who died of illness at Mount Independence near Fort Ticonderoga while serving as the commanding colonel of the 25th Regiment of Foot from Massachusetts during the Saratoga campaign. Think of my surprise to find out that I wargamed a battle which took place just weeks after my relative's death just days before! Well my interest in the 25th Regiment of Foot and Col. William Bond has now been piqued and I'll be doing more research into this interesting part of my family's past.

No comments: